What is UV sanitizer?
UV sanitizer is a device that uses ultraviolet (UV) light to kill microorganisms. Toothbrush sanitizer destroys bacteria, viruses and molds that can be present on the toothbrush head. UV light kills some microorganisms and makes others unable to reproduce.
UV light is used also to sterilize medical equipment, food, water, and air.
Toothbrush UV sanitizer is used for sanitizing toothbrush heads. Toothbrushes and toothbrush heads can also be stored in sanitizer. There are several types of toothbrush sanitizers – sanitizers for electric toothbrushes, manual brushes, and for both.
Who makes UV sanitizers?
There are several popular toothbrush sanitizer manufacturers offering multiple countertop and travel models.
Philips offers Sonicare HX7990 sanitizer that is bundled with several power toothbrush models and also available separately.
Germ Terminator is selling sanitizers for manual and electric toothbrushes.
Violight offers UV sanitizers for your bathroom and travel. Violight has sanitizers not only for toothbrushes but also for cell phones, razors, and mouth guards.
Which toothbrush models are bundled with UV sanitizer?
Philips Sonicare toothbrushes with UV sanitizer:
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare with Sanitizer
- Philips Sonicare HeathyWhite Premium Edition HX6733
Which toothbrush heads fit in UV sanitizer?
Most manufactures offer pretty universal sanitizers.
For example Sonicare UV Sanitizer for power toothbrushes can be used for cleaning both Oral B and Philips replacement brush heads – Sonicare ProResults, Sonicare e-series, new DiamondClean heads, and also Oral-B Flexisoft and Oral-B Floss Action brush heads.
Most sanitizers for manual toothbrushes can also sanitize toothbrush heads of power toothbrushes.
Do I need a sanitizer for my toothbrush?
Also keep in mind that not all bacteria are harmful. There are several pounds of good bacteria present in your body.
There are several situations when a sanitizer would be very helpful.
- Use sanitizer if multiple people are using one electric toothbrush handle with multiple brush heads. Sanitize your brush heads because bacteria can be transferred from the handle to brush heads
- Use sanitizer if you have toilet combined with a bathroom. In this setup there are always bacteria in the air and on surfaces.
- Use UV sanitizer if you are storing your manual or power toothbrush in desk drawer in your office or glove compartment or your car.