UV sanitizer (sometimes called also UV sterilizer) is a device that uses ultraviolet (UV) light to kill microorganisms. Toothbrush sanitizer is a type of UV sterilizers designed specifically for electric (or manual) brushes, and it destroys bacteria, viruses and molds that can be present on the toothbrush head. UV light kills some microorganisms and makes others unable to reproduce.
UV light is used also to sterilize medical equipment, food, water, and air.
Toothbrush UV sanitizer is used for sterilizing toothbrush heads. Toothbrushes and toothbrush heads can also be stored in sanitizer. There are several types of sanitizers – sanitizers for electric toothbrushes, manual brushes, and for both.
Who makes UV sanitizers?
There are several well-known manufacturers offering multiple counter-top and travel toothbrush sterilizers.
Philips offers Sonicare HX7990 sanitizer that is bundled with several power toothbrush models and also available separately.
Germ Terminator is selling sanitizers for manual and electric toothbrushes.
Violight offers UV sanitizers for your bathroom and travel. Violight has sanitizers not only for toothbrushes but also for cell phones, razors, and mouth guards.
Which toothbrush models are bundled with UV sterilizer?
Oral B currently is not offering sterilizer with any Oral B toothbrush. That makes Philips the only manufacturer that is bundling this device with its more expensive toothbrush models.
Philips Sonicare toothbrushes that are bundled with UV sanitizers:
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare Plus
- Philips Sonicare FlexCare with Sanitizer
- Philips Sonicare HeathyWhite Premium Edition HX6733
Which toothbrush heads fit in sanitizer?
Most manufactures offer pretty universal sanitizers.
For example Sonicare Sanitizer for power toothbrushes can be used for cleaning both Oral B and Philips replacement brush heads – Sonicare ProResults, Sonicare e-series, new DiamondClean heads, and also Oral-B Flexisoft and Oral-B Floss Action brush heads.
Most sanitizers for manual toothbrushes can also sanitize heads of power toothbrushes.
Do I need a sanitizing device for my brush?
It is important to keep in mind that UV sanitizers do not kill all bacteria, so it does not make toothbrushes sterile.
Also keep in mind that not all bacteria are harmful. There are several pounds of good bacteria present in your body.
There are several situations when a this gadget will be very helpful.
- Use sterilizer if multiple people are using one electric brush handle with multiple brushheads. Sanitize your brush heads because bacteria can be transferred from the handle to the head of your toothbrush
- Use sanitizer if you have toilet combined with a bathroom. In this setup there are always bacteria in the air and on surfaces.
- Use sanitizer if you are storing your manual or power tooth brush in desk drawer in your office or glove compartment or your car.