How To Prevent Mold In Waterpik And Other Water Flossers?

By | December 1, 2022

A few weeks ago, I was constantly experiencing itching, eye redness, and sneezing. During the same time, a fortunate visit to the dentist helped me identify the dilemma. As advised, I came home to check my Waterpik. I found fuzzy dark spots on the inner flossing tips when separating the water reservoir. There were a few inside the water reservoir as well. Icky, black mold inside my water flosser!

I was stressed to see this as I had never experienced it before! But losing no time, I looked up ways on how to prevent mold in Waterpik and solved the matter without any hassle. It was easy and quick but most importantly, it saved my health and teeth from possible damage.

How to Prevent Mold in Waterpik?

For some, mold can cause serious health issues like headaches, irritation, and even asthmatic concerns. Unfortunately, it forms and grows in all places that are in contact with moisture and humidity, including the insides of our water flossers. Hence it is imperative to prevent mold in Waterpik. The best way to do so is to disassemble, check and clean the flosser parts once every week.

One most tested methods of preventing mold is soaking each removable compartment of your oral irrigator in a solution of water and vinegar for a good 40 to 45 minutes. The reservoir can also be cleaned inside a dishwasher. Besides, regular use and flushing out of the water from the flosser can also help in averting mold growth in Waterpik.

Related reading: How To Use A Waterpik Without Making A Mess?

What Causes Mold to Form in Waterpik?

Bacterial spores or mold spores are present everywhere but they start to grow in an environment where there is humidity or moisture. A bathroom or washroom is one of the most common places with such an atmosphere.

One of the primal reasons you are likely to face the issue of mold in your flosser is residual water. Think about it. Do you make sure you clean out all the remaining water inside the flosser once you are done with your everyday teeth care? Probably not!

If your Waterpik sits idle, and you don’t use it often, it is also likely that debris and mold will clog the internal parts. If you use it regularly, the formation of mold does not happen too quickly. If you do use it often, preventing fungi growth will be easier for you if you just flush out all the moisture from the flosser after every use.

It is most likely that the water left after you have finished using the Waterpik remains and creates mold. If you don’t notice the mold, they fester more after every use as they contact with more moisture.

You may say that your dental instrument is placed at a reasonable distance from the shower area, where there is no humidity. Still, when someone takes a hot shower, the air will be filled with water vapor.

After the bathroom area cools down, these droplets settle back all over the bathroom, including the flosser. Combined with the mold spores that are already present in the environment, mold will form and thrive inside and outside the flosser.

Health Hazards of Mold on Your Health

Although health risks connected to may not be as grave as some perceive, mold, in the long run, can cause upsets to people’s health and cause more serious issues.

You must have heard of mold poisoning. If you haven’t, it is a term used to describe the various health issues caused by a toxic fungi element called Mycotoxins.

If you are sensitive to allergies, you must take every step to prevent mold growth in your water flosser. Mold development can cause itching, skin rash, and dry cough. Such toxins can even trigger continual sneezing, blocked nose, and headaches! If none of that moves you, it might concern you, especially if you have allergies, that molding can cause some extent of respiratory issues.

If anyone in your home has a compromised immune system, make sure to check their flossers for molds to prevent any possible infections related to mold toxins. It is worth noting that children and older people are more likely to get ill from mold in Waterpik!

Related reading: Panasonic Water Flosser Reviews

How to Clean Waterpik to Prevent Mold?

Subsequent health hazards caused by accumulated debris and other micro-particles can also affect the function of your Waterpik. Cleaning it thoroughly will ensure you never have to worry about nasty fungus again. Here are simple steps on how to clean Waterpik:

  1. Use mild soap and water to clean the exterior
  2. Either soak the reservoir in the vinegar solution or clean it using the dishwasher. Clean the valve as well
  3. Clean all the remaining internal parts using vinegar and water solution.
  4. Use fresh warm water to get rid of all the solution afterward.
  5. Assemble all the parts in the water pick to use it again.

The solution where you will soak the reservoir, flossing tips, and the hose tube must be half parts water and half parts vinegar. If any hard mold is left, scrub it off with a good brush.

To continue with the maintenance of the Waterpik and to further prevent any more mold growth, turn on the flosser when you have removed the water reservoir. Make sure to use a towel to wipe out any remaining moisture on the base of the reservoir.

Related reading: How To Clean Waterpik Water Flosser – Oral Irrigator Cleaning Tips


If you are using a water flosser, it is likely usual that you take good care of your teeth and have a regular dental cleaning routine. If so, a contaminated and unclean water flosser oozing with mold and bacteria will do more harm than you can assume. Certainly, it may be useful to know ways how to prevent mold in Waterpik.

We think you may want to keep a watchful eye on the flosser and save a regular maintenance routine to clean it. As they say, prevention is better than cure.