This article will show you the comparison table of 10 best electric toothbrushes for 2018 and short reviews of 5 brushes that have the best ratings.
Top Electric Toothbrush Comparison Guide and Key Features
|Model||Timer Type||Brushing Modes||Price||Our Rating||Additional Features|
|Philips Sonicare Essence||Smartimer||1 - Clean||$||4.5||-|
|Philips Sonicare EasyClean HX6511/50||Quadpacer||1 - Clean||$$||4.5||Slim handle, travel charger
|Oral-B Professional 5000||Wireless SmartGuide||5 - Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening, Massage, Deep Clean||$$$||4.3||Pressure Sensor, Visual Pressure Indicator, Tripple Pressure Control|
|Philips Sonicare DiamondClean HX9332/05||Quadpacer||5 - Clean, White, Sensitive, Polish, Gum Care||$$$$||4.5||Deluxe travel case with USB Charger, Illuminated Display|
|Philips Sonicare Healthywhite HX6731/02||Quadpacer||3 - Clean, Clean & White, Sensitive||$$$||4.5||Hard travel case|
|Oral-B Professional 3000||In-Handle||3 - Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening||$$||4.5||Pressure Sensor, Visual Pressure Indicator|
|Oral-B Professional 1000||In-Handle||1 - Daily Clean||ND||ND|
|Philips Sonicare Flexcare Plus HX6921/02||Quadpacer||5 - Clean, Gum Care, Refresh, Sensitive, Massage||$$$||4.6||Hard travel case|
|Oral-B Professional 4000||In-Handle||4 - Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening, Deep Clean||ND||ND||Pressure Sensor, Visual Pressure Indicator|
|Oral-B Professional Deep Sweep Triaction 1000||In-Handle||1 - Daily Clean||ND||ND||Pressure Sensor|
|Oral-B Professional Deep Sweep Triaction 5000||Wireless SmartGuide||5 - Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening, Massage, Deep Clean||N/D||N/D||Not Available|
|Health HP-STX Ultra High Powered||Auto shut-off||3 - Power/Clean, Soft/Gentle, Massage||$$||3.7||Docking/charging station, enclosed storage for 4 brush heads|
|Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum HX9110/02||Quadpacer||3 modes + 3 settings:|
Clean, White, Gum Care modes and Low / Medium / High intensity setting
|$$$$||4.6||Hard travel case|
|Philips Sonicare FlexCare HX6932/10||Quadpacer||5 - Clean, Sensitive, Massage, Go Care/Max Care||ND||ND|
|Oral-B Precision Black 7000||Wireless SmartGuide||6 - Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening, Deep Clean, Massage, Tongue Cleaner||N/D||N/D||Pressure Sensor, Visual Pressure Indicator, Handle travel case|
|Oral-B Pulsonic||In-Handle||2 - Clean, Sensitive||N/D||N/D|
|Emmi-dent 6 100% Ultrasonic Toothbrush||In-Handle||1 - Clean||ND||ND||Ultrasonic action, for use with Emmi-dent Nano Bubbles Toothpaste|
I have included 6 columns in the matrix:
- Model – toothbrush brand, model, and picture – click on the picture to view more details or to purchase the item
- Timer Type – type of the toothbrush timer
- Brushing modes – number of brushing modes and modes
- Price – approximate prices on Amazon.com. Actual prices change often based on availability, promotions, and other factors. Generally speaking:
- $ = under $50
- $$ = $50 to $100
- $$$ = $100 to $150
- $$$$ = $150 to $200
- $$$$$ = $200+
- Rating – The average user rating in online stores. This shows the overall customer satisfaction with the product.
Oral-B vs Sonicare Technology
Most important features of electric toothbrush
Before you start learning about the bells and whistles of power toothbrushes you have to be sure if you understand all the advantages and disadvantages of electric toothbrushes.
The first thing your dentist will tell you about brushing your teeth (even if you are using the manual brush) is that you should brush for at least 2 minutes. I have even seen some advice saying that you should brush 4 minutes with a manual brush but my doc says it is not necessary. But how do you know how long are you brushing? With a manual brush, the only solution is to bring your stopwatch to the bathroom and use it for taking the time. Not very convenient if you ask me.
An electric toothbrush makes things easier because it usually has some kind of timer functionality built in.
These are the most common types of timers.
- Simple 2-minute timer – the most basic timer (Philips calls it Smartimer) which simply sets the brushing time to two minutes at the moment you switch on the brush and shuts the toothbrush off after 2 minutes.
- Quadpacer – this feature can be found in mid-range and higher end Philips Sonicare models. Basically, it is the Smartimer with an added twist – the interval timer that helps you to make sure that you pay the same attention to all parts of your mouth. The Quadpacer beeps every 30 seconds to inform you that you should start brushing the next section of your mouth.
- Wireless SmartGuide – more advanced OralB toothbrushes (5000 and 7000 model) feature an external wireless clock that is connected to the toothbrush. The brush still times itself, but you are able to see the remaining brushing time on the clock. In addition, the SmartGuide warns you if you are brushing too hard.
Review of the Top 5 Electric Toothbrushes